Tuesday, May 19, 2009

IAT

I thought it was a very interesting test. Incredibly simple yet telling I suppose... but then I had little to no preference for my own race. So I feel pretty good about that. If I had come out with a strong preference for my own race I suppose I would be considering all the missteps that the test could cause. That I had trouble remembering which topics were on which side when all four were up, etc. Then again I am married to a Black man and have two gorgeous bi-racial children with him. However, as a white person I am also privy to the things that whites say to each other about affirmative action, black names like Jaquan, and even more blatant biases. When whites say ignorant things about other races and cultures I feel embarrassed for them and a little for myself even though I know that one person cannot speak for a whole race, i wish people could be ... smarter (if that is the right word) about understanding others.

I really liked the piece on Date Line about how whites are embarrassed to have a preference towards their own race but blacks are proud of it, that they have overcome societal biases that influence them against their own race. On the flip side, is a white person prejudiced if the test reveals a strong preference for white? This difference of interpretation demonstrates the level of discomfort many people still feel about race in this country. I wonder if "white guilt" can ever be washed away entirely...

No comments:

Post a Comment